[mythtv-users] Remote Mythfrontend Problem

Steve Milner mythtv at stephen-milner.me.uk
Wed Jul 15 14:17:32 UTC 2009

On 15/07/09 14:42, Ian Barton wrote:
> Ian Barton wrote:

>>> Ah, I'm not a KDE person.
>>>
>>> I'll try and get xine to play the dvb-t on the backend later tonight.
>>>

>> If you are using Debian/Ubuntu and install dvb-apps the channel
>> configurations are in /usr/share/dvb/dvb-t/uk-EmleyMoor.
>>

> Whoops forgot the vital bit.
>
> scan /usr/share/dvb/dvb-t/uk-EmleyMoor > ~/.xine/channels.conf
>
> will create the correct magic for xine.

That would of course make sense.

However it's dvbscan on Centos and IIRC it's dvb-utils and then there
are several things to remember - All of this done via ssh from work up
some very wet adsl string back in the hills.

Firstly dvbscan will not work while mythbackend owns the adaptor
as root:

service mythbackend stop

Then, as root again (because the dvb adaptor /dev/dvb/adaptor* is 600
and owned root:root)

dvbscan /usr/share/dvb/dvb-t/uk-EmleyMoor > /home/mythtv/.xine/channels.conf

will work.

However as user mythtv xine can't open the dvb adaptors because mythtv
doesn't have permissions.
So modify /etc/security/console.perms.d/50-default.perms

find the line that reads:
<console>  0660 <dvb>        0660 root
and change it to:
<console>  0600 <dvb>        0660 root.mythtv

Reboot and then as user mythtv

xine dvb://"BBC ONE"

Will work, although viewing that at 384KBi/s  isn't what you would call
a working experience, but at least tonight I can get straight into
checking things out.

Regards,
Steve