[mythtv-users] Networked Media Tanks ?

Brian Wood beww at beww.org
Wed Jul 15 16:34:50 UTC 2009

I'm starting to see more and more devices like:

http://www.thinkgeek.com/electronics/home-entertainment/bd4f/?cpg=98H

This sells for $30 less than the Myka, but does not include a hard drive.

Myka gives you a 250GB HDD for $30 more, and also allows you to telnet in and
play with the underlying Linux, which I assume is all embedded in the Ultio.

Now if we can get a frontend to run on hardware like this, or find some other
way to integrate them into a Myth system?

They work with the UPnP server in Myth, but you lose features like commercial
skip and most other frontend features (like scheduling).

Using the sigma chip for playback seems like it might be even better than
VDPAU, but I suspect there is some sort of non-OSS driver involved.

The Myka has handled averything I have thrown at it, including some
intentionally oddball combinations of containers and codecs.

--
Brian Wood
beww at beww.org