[mythtv-users] cannot connect to database

Michael T. Dean mtdean at thirdcontact.com
Wed Jul 15 18:43:56 UTC 2009

On 07/15/2009 01:01 PM, Brian Wood wrote:
> On Wednesday 15 July 2009 10:29:44 staticsupply wrote:
>
>> So I type sudo then an editor program from terminal then open the file
>> change it and it should save that way?
>>
> Yes, sudo should run the editor (vi, or perhaps pico?) as root, and should
> thus be able to change any file.

Better approach is to use sudoedit, as it runs $EDITOR (meaning the
user's preferred editor) with the non-privileged user's privileges, so
any bugs/holes in $EDITOR are less likely to be a problem.  Instead of
running the editor as root, it simply copies the file (to and fro) to
work around privilege issues.

sudoedit /etc/mysql/my.cnf

or whatever...

Mike