[mythtv-users] OT: SATA errors

Harry Devine lifter89 at comcast.net
Thu Jul 16 21:56:12 UTC 2009

John Drescher wrote:
>> OK, here's an update.  I bought a new internal SATA controller card from
>> NewEgg (http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16815280008) and
>> just installed it.  The PC won't boot from the HD.  I get "Insert System
>> Disk and try again" (something like that).  I can boot to the LiveCD and see
>> the HDs under /dev (/sda is my main OS disk and /sdb is my storage drive for
>> Myth).
>>
>> I mount the sda1 partition since I know that's where my /boot partition is.
>>  I can see the files, so I'm not really sure why the system can't boot from
>> the drive.  I know that in my MB, there were options for the Onboard SATA
>> controller, but I disabled it since I figured that would interfere with the
>> new card.
>> Does anyone have any ideas on what I need to do to get the OS to boot from
>> the drive on this new card?
>>

> Is the drive marked active in fdisk? Do you have the controller listed
> in the boot section of your bios (sometimes this will be called
> external card or try other interfaces...)?
>
> John

No, my BIOS doesn't have anything for a controller card.  Only the
Onboard SATA (enabled/disabled).  When you say fdisk, do you mean the
old DOS fdisk?  Why would the onboard SATA not require that but the new
card would?  Just curious.

I don't see anything about the card, or any external card for that
matter, in my BIOS.  When I boot off the LiveCD, like I said, I can see
the card when I run lspci, and the system can see my drives properly as
/dev/sda and /dev/sdb.

Any ideas?
Harry