[mythtv-users] Watching Analog Sources at multiple Frontends Simultaneously

Andrew Herron totallymaxed at gmail.com
Sat Jul 18 20:45:39 UTC 2009

Mike,

Thanks for that. So there is no way after the first FrontEnd has started to
'watch' the input capturing the STB that a sunsequent FrontEnd could just
watch the stream without any control? I understand that this could be
basically achieved by commencing a recording and then all other FrontEnds
could 'watch' that recording slightly behind live...however it would seem
that making this directly available would be a very small step but a very
big enhancement to MythTV...and all the basic capabilities are there right
now to achieve it.

Thanks

Andrew

On Sat, Jul 18, 2009 at 9:28 PM, Michael T. Dean <mtdean at thirdcontact.com>wrote:

> On 07/18/2009 04:21 PM, Andrew Herron wrote:
>
>> ok i understand that I can watch a recording somewhat behind 'Live'. What
>> i am trying to do however is use 'Switch Input' from the FrontEnds to select
>> the capture card that is capturing the STB. Once I use 'Switch input' on the
>> first FrontEnd I then cannot select the same input on other FrontEnds. Is
>> this a basic limitation or have i not configured something correctlly?
>>
>> Thanks for everyones input on this - much appreciated!
>>

> Comes back to the design choice that only one frontend can be in control of
> LiveTV.  If other frontends were able to gain control of the input you're
> using, they would be able to change the channel on you.
>
> If you mean you'd like for LiveTV to "follow" you from one frontend to
> another, that's not currently possible--though several have expressed a
> desire for the functionality.  The closest you could do now is tell the
> first frontend to record the show (press R), then exit playback, then go to
> the next frontend and resume playback of the (formerly LiveTV) recording.
>
> Mike

Convergent Home Technologies Ltd
www.dianemo.co.uk
Tel: +44 (0)1245 330101