[mythtv-users] Remote Mythfrontend Problem

Mike Perkins mikep at randomtraveller.org.uk
Mon Jul 20 15:03:10 UTC 2009

Steve Milner wrote:
> Hello all.
>
> After several days of trying to understand this myself I must now ask
> for help.
>
> I have a remote mythfrontend and I am noticing a high level of digital
> artefacts while watching live tv (DVB-T).
>
> There are occasional sound glitches including (high pitched short
> sqeaks) as well as small areas (sometimes very large areas) of the
> screen which fail to update or contain grey.

I get this all the time. Well, perhaps not all the time, but often enough and
specific enough that I know the cause, which is poor signal. Don't bother
agonising over libraries or network congestion, look at your antenna and
downlink cabling first.

Make sure your antenna hasn't been moved by the wind, so it's not pointing in an
optimum direction to the transmitter. Make sure you haven't got water in your
connector joints. Make sure the joints are good. All the usual stuff.

In my case, I have two culprits: I am the wrong side of a hill through a line of
trees, so my best signal comes in winter; and we're plagued with wood-pigeons
who seem to think the antenna forest is just perfect to perch on.

--

Mike Perkins