[mythtv-users] Remote Mythfrontend Problem

Steve Milner mythtv at stephen-milner.me.uk
Mon Jul 20 15:11:32 UTC 2009

Hi Mike.

On 20/07/09 16:03, Mike Perkins wrote:
> Steve Milner wrote:
>> Hello all.
>>
>> After several days of trying to understand this myself I must now ask
>> for help.
>>
>> I have a remote mythfrontend and I am noticing a high level of digital
>> artefacts while watching live tv (DVB-T).
>>
>> There are occasional sound glitches including (high pitched short
>> sqeaks) as well as small areas (sometimes very large areas) of the
>> screen which fail to update or contain grey.
>>
> I get this all the time. Well, perhaps not all the time, but often
> enough and specific enough that I know the cause, which is poor signal.
> Don't bother agonising over libraries or network congestion, look at
> your antenna and downlink cabling first.

This isn't the case. I can watch TV by firing up a frontend on the
backend system with out problems or the messages in the frontend error
log while run on the backend machine.

Also, I can watch a tv show with problems, and then play back the
recording mythtv has made without any problems at all.

> Make sure your antenna hasn't been moved by the wind, so it's not
> pointing in an optimum direction to the transmitter. Make sure you
> haven't got water in your connector joints. Make sure the joints are
> good. All the usual stuff.

I have an aerial in the loft and I am 8 miles away and have line of
sight to Emley Moor transmitter.

Regards,

Steve