[mythtv-users] CBS/NBC 1080i and telecine

Yeechang Lee ylee at pobox.com
Mon Jul 20 19:11:52 UTC 2009

Andrew Gallatin <gallatin at cs.duke.edu> says:
> From using dr1394's tools to detect repeat flags, I've convinced
> myself that the shows that MythTV (and mplayer) have problems with
> are encoded with soft telecine.

I am not so certain. The Handbrake Wiki page on the topic you cited
only talks about soft telecining in the context of DVDs (unsurprising,
given the context). As I mention in the thread with the patch that
alleviate this issue, DVDs do indeed often also contain streams with
progressive and interlaced content; however, I can't recall seeing the
speedup/slowdown isssue when watching a DVD.[1] That's why the second
patch in the thread exists, so the first one won't activate during DVD
playback.

If you are correct, the two patches (which, as they currently stand,
greatly help with but don't completely eliminate the issue) ought to
"stick" to progressive playback, not deinterlacing as they current
do. Or, mythfrontend ought to (as the Wiki page advises) just ignore
repeat flags entirely during playback, but that seems so simple a
solution for a longstanding issue that I can't believe it wouldn't
have been tried yet.

[1] But then I almost never watch DVDs directly from disc, much
preferring to rip them first, so it's possible that the ripping
process (I've only ever used Handbrake in the past few years) fixes
the issue.

--
Frontend/backend:	P4 3.0GHz, 1.5TB software RAID 5 array