[mythtv-users] Dvico Fusion HDTV DVB-T USB or something else?

Iain Buchanan iaindb at netspace.net.au
Wed Jul 22 12:49:46 UTC 2009

On Wed, 2009-07-22 at 13:24 +0800, sonofzev at iinet.net.au wrote:

> >> Hi Iain,
> >>
> >> I don't know about this specific device, but I have a Fusion Lite (PCI) and
> >> Fusion Dual Express (PCIe).. and have had generally good experience with these
> >> devices..
> >
> >AFAICT the Fusion Dual has a PCI and a USB tuner, and the USB tuner is
> >the same as the one in the USB-only device.
>
> No, that is the dual digital 4 on the PCI bus.. but the one using PCI express has
> both using the pci express bus no additional USB bridge that I can see through
> lspci.

The one that has a USB tuner plugs in to a USB port (external USB type B
port on the back), so you wouldn't see a USB bridge on the PCI bus,
you'd have to use lsusb.  Anyway, if you see two PCI tuners, then that's
not it!

> >Do you use both tuners?
>
> Definitely.. I have both cards in one BE box and use all three available tuners..
> the second tuner on my express card is the default for live tv (to avoid
> conflicts with recordings) so it gets used alot
>
> >Do you get full 1080p HD?
> 1080i .. there is no broadcast of 1080p ..

oh :)

> >Do you know if yours has hw mpeg4?
>
> AFAIK there is no hw mpeg4 decoder.. however no one is broadcasting in mpeg4 in
> Australia yet.

I was thinking of converting to mpeg4 for saving on disk - is this
normal or do you just save the incoming mpeg2 stream straight to disk?

> However I have vdpau capable cards in my fe boxes which do the decoding (tested
> with mpeg4 encoded files.. works nicely...

nice.  I have an old Mobility Radeon 9600 in the laptop.  The open
source ati drivers now perform excellent on it!  (they didn't work at
all when I got the laptop) so no vdpau for me :(

> However, your 3Ghz p4 should be fine for decoding the stream (but not
> multitasking)..

I'm hoping it will do up to two incoming streams (watch one, record the
other) and some background transcoding when things are idle.

As to the other posts about two USB devices - I hear if they're on
separate USB controllers it should be possible... we'll see :)

thanks again for the help.

Signs of crime: screaming or cries for help.
		-- The Brown University Security Crime Prevention Pamphlet