[mythtv-users] OT: FFMPEG conversion

James Oltman cnlibmyth at gmail.com
Wed Jul 22 16:19:33 UTC 2009

This is semi OT, but deals with video re-encoding.  I have a WMV file (I
know) that I want to convert to a different Windows video file, but lower
resolution and bitrate.  The resulting file needs to be something that
Windows Media Player can play "out of the box."  I was looking at FFMPEGs
documentation and was running this command:

ffmpeg -i ~/Desktop/GAIN*.wmv -vcodec msmpeg4v2 -vtag MP43 -acodec
libmp3lame -threads 2 GAIN.avi

This gave me an error:

"Error while opening encoder for output stream #0.0 - maybe incorrect
parameters such as bit_rate, rate, width or height"

I've tried adding the switches "-b 500k -bt 175k" to the video switches, but
I get the same error (same streams).  The stream that's in the error is
telling me it's video output error.  The incoming video is 1280x720p.  Any
help would be appreciated.

Jim