[mythtv-users] Remote Mythfrontend Problem

Steve Milner mythtv at stephen-milner.me.uk
Wed Jul 22 20:20:31 UTC 2009

On 21/07/09 21:34, Gareth Glaccum wrote:
>> I am worried this is hardware ralated on the frontend machine in some
>> way, but I don't know where to start.
>
>> From what you have described, I would be thinking that your buffer to
>> disk
> is not good enough.
> i.e. you don't have enough bandwidth between your processors and disk,
> to be able to write a file, read and send it over the network in one go.
> Try to pause your liveTV for 10 seconds and see what it is like then.

I've run this test again.

What happens is when I unpause I get a quick stream of errors and then
the problem goes away. So by using a 10s pause at least I can watch tv
at the moment without it getting on my wick.

On the backend I am getting very low IO wait according to top - between
1-2% on just one of the 2 cores.

On the frontend I am getting huge IO wait, about 30% across 2 of the 4
cores.

Regards,

Steve