[mythtv-users] nvidia 8200 IGP + VDPAU no luck

Nick Rout nick.rout at gmail.com
Wed Jul 22 23:30:26 UTC 2009

On Thu, Jul 23, 2009 at 10:55 AM, Zach C<uid000 at gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I've read a number of reports that seem to confirm that the 8200 IGP is
> sufficient for VDPAU decoding of HD h.264 material, such as that
> produced by the HD-PVR.
>
> I've had no luck with mine.
>
> When I play back 720p the video is smooth for about two or three
> seconds, then starts to stuttering and dropping frames.
>
> If I put a dedicated card in (9500 GT), playback is as smooth as butter.
>
> Is there any special build-time configuration that will help?  What
> about settings in the software, such as deinterlacer (shouldn't
> matter--720p), etc?
>
> My configuration:
> I've got a SFF Acer machine with an 8200 IGP,  Athlon LE-1600 and the
> maximum memory allocated to the GPU (512MB I think).
> I'm running trunk revision 20949
> I'm running on Mythbuntu 9.04 with the default mythtv packages removed.
> Nvidia drivers are 185.18.14

I know that Jean-Yves (who backported vdpau to 0.21-fixes) had trouble
with 185.x nvidia drivers and recommended going back to 180.x. Mind
you that was on 0.21-fixes with the backport. Whether that applies to
trunk, I do not know. Heres the post anyway:

http://www.avenard.org/media/Ubuntu_Repository/Entries/2009/6/10_How_to_downgrade_to_nVidia_drivers_180.xx.html