[mythtv-users] Remote Mythfrontend Problem

sonofzev at iinet.net.au sonofzev at iinet.net.au
Wed Jul 22 23:39:21 UTC 2009

On Thu Jul 23  2:26 , Steve Milner  sent:

>On 22/07/09 17:12, Mark Garland wrote:
>> Hi Steve,
>>
>> I'm really not sure how the RingBuf works - I've been looking around the net
>> for any documentation without luck.  If you know of any, please let me know!
>>
>> My setup is Ubuntu 9.04, with KDE.
>>> From repositories, 0.21.0+fixes19961-0ubuntu8 for both backend and frontend.
>> Video hardware is an AMD/ATI 780g (Radeon HD 3200).  I'm using the Open
>> Source Radeon driver as the proprietary one doesn't get on with myth very
>> well.
>
>Hi Mark.
>
>Cast your eyes over this article:
>http://www.mythtv.org/wiki/User:Jyeh
>
>It suggests that a slow pro without XvMC may cause some problems with
>stuttering & sound - which is my issue.
>
>The RingBuf may be a red herring and the lockup may be as a result of
>your video driver.
>
>You might like to read this:
>http://www.mythtv.org/wiki/ATI_Proprietary_Driver
>
>Regards,
>
>Steve

Depends what you consider slow... I had a P4 3.4 GHZ that only just handled HDTV
with Greedy High Motion de-interlacing.. Yet I have replaced it with a 2nd hand
opteron 146 (at 2 GHZ standard)... and if I don't have VDPAU running then it can
still handle Greedy High Motion with just a bit of stutter when the station is
switched to..

Optimisation of the XFS filesystem that I use for recording, combined with
optimisation of the RAID it is on (although it is on 5 so not high performance
anyway).. combined with use of a large packet size using TCP on nfs version 3 did
improve performance on my system.