[mythtv-users] Verizon Fios, any success stories?

Ajay Sharma ajayrockrock at gmail.com
Thu Jul 23 19:38:54 UTC 2009

On Wed, Jul 22, 2009 at 2:12 PM, Jarod Wilson <jarod at wilsonet.com> wrote:

> On Jul 22, 2009, at 4:58 PM, Ajay Sharma wrote:
>
>> Is anyone running Verizon Fios with the HD-PVR?  In that you're recording
>> HD channels and got the HD-PVR to change channels on the Verizon STB.
>>

> The IR part of the HD PVR is not yet enabled. I control my cable box over
> firewire anyway though. (And that same firewire connection is a part of why
> I rarely need the HD PVR).

Just so I'm clear, when you say "cable box", you're talking about the
Verizon Fios STB (set top box) and not some other cable service?  I'm just
making sure because I multiple sources (Dish and analog Cable) but I plan to
dump it all to get straight fios-tv.

Assuming that "cable box" means Verizon Fios STP:  I've never done any
firewire stuff, would following along with the mythtv wiki a good guide to
follow in setting this up?  http://www.mythtv.org/wiki/FireWire

On the wiki they mention the "6200ch" channel changing script.  My
non-mythtv-using friend has Fios-TV and his Motorola boxes are "QIP 2500"
(doesn't have firewire) and "QIP6200" (which is their HD-DVR that they
pre-install for you and has firewire).

Will the "6200ch" script change channels over firewire for those motorola
boxes?  What's the model number of your motorola Fios-TV STB?

Last question:  If I sign up for Verizon and they aren't encrypting any of
the HD channels, then an HD-PVR won't be necessary?  And I know that that's
a big "if".  :)  And if down they road they start encrypting their HD stuff
then the only way is through an HD-PVR (at the moment).

Thanks for your feedback!

--Ajay