[mythtv-users] Netflix streaming

Brian Wood beww at beww.org
Sat Jul 25 18:54:24 UTC 2009

On Saturday 25 July 2009 12:45:14 Michelle Dupuis wrote:
> I see a Netflix module for myth front end, but I assumed it was only for
> looking up their catalog and ordering movies.
>
> Can myth stream movies from netflix's new service?

Assuming you mean their "Watch Instantly" service (which is not all that new),
I think the answer is no, at least not now.

It might be possible using a seperate third-party program. I use the PlayON
server, which will serve up Netflix to any UPnP/DLNA capable playback device.
It also serves up many other things including HuLu (some problems with that
lately), CBS and local files.

Unfortunately PlayON is Windows-only. I'm running it in a VirtualBox VM and it
works OK.

There is also the Roku device ($99) which allows you to watch Netflix
directly, and I think there is also some method of watching it on an
XBox-360, but that requires some other monthly fee in addition to the fee to
Netflix. The PlayON server is a one-time purchase ($40) but no monthly
charge.

PlayOn is an on-the-fly transcoder, which allows watching Netflix on a PS3 or
an XBox (supported configurations) or anything capable of rendering UPnP
files. I use a Myka as well as a D-Link DSM-520, both of which work but are
technically unsupported.

--
Brian Wood
beww at beww.org