[mythtv-users] Discussion: system layouts to reduce power consumption

Eloy Paris peloy at chapus.net
Tue Jul 28 19:38:12 UTC 2009

On Tue, Jul 28, 2009 at 10:58:38AM +1000, glenhawk at optusnet.com.au wrote:

> I have tried using Wake-On-LAN over the Internet to only switch on the
> MBE when needed but I couldn't get it through my router and even if
> I could I would have to quickly start recording something to prevent
> the system from shutting back down (perhaps if MythWeb could be made
> to hold MythShutdown it would be worth persevering to get WakeOnLAN
> working over the net... or maybe I just need to adjust the idle time
> to an ideal value).

I haven't tried but wakeonlan from
http://gsd.di.uminho.pt/jpo/software/wakeonlan/ uses UDP datagrams
instead of Ethernet frames to transport the magic packets. In theory
one should be able to configure a router to let these packets from the
Internet in and then forward them to a specific machine on the internal
network or to the broadcast address of the internal network.

Cheers,

Eloy Paris.-