[mythtv-users] stereo+AC3/DTS sound to both analog+digital outputs

Steve V olivuts at yahoo.com
Thu Jul 30 02:31:20 UTC 2009

----- Original Message ----

I don't know if that is the solution. It seems that the OP wanted to work in 2 different modes. I have to say something I would like to see working as well.

Mode 1 is the everyday mode, sound through the TV no use of the amplifier. If his family is anything like mine the TV is on for 7 or 8 eight hours a day so running the amp for this time is kind of wasteful - I don;t need to hear the .

Mode 2 is the sometimes mode, sound through the amplifier not the TV. This would be for the times that using the amp would really be appreciated, eg when watching a movie that has an AC3 track.

It gets even more complex depending on the actual equipment being used the relevant inputs available and the outputs availble from the soundcard.

For example, my TV is connected via HDMI and I send the sound over HDMI, but the TV cannot handle AC3 so when sending digital sound over HDMI I must disable AC3 passthrough or pass it to the spdif rather than to default.

the motherboard has a spdif output which handles AC3 and anything else.

So just sending the same signal to different outputs will not always satisfy the requirements, it seems to me that the changing the settings in MythFrontend is the answer. something like what this person is trying to achieve. http://www.gossamer-threads.com/lists/mythtv/users/232310?search_string=toggle%20ac3;#232310
or this http://www.gossamer-threads.com/lists/mythtv/users/389955?search_string=toggle%20ac3;#389955

unfortunately neither is a solution, but I think a mod to the database via a script would be the way to go.