[mythtv-users] Discussion: system layouts to reduce power consumption

sonofzev at iinet.net.au sonofzev at iinet.net.au
Thu Jul 30 04:04:33 UTC 2009

On Thu Jul 30 11:29 , glenhawk at optusnet.com.au sent:

>Looking at the tech specs of the DLink NAS that I have my eyes on (instead of
using freeNAS) I find the following numbers:
>POWER CONSUMPTION
>+ Normal mode: 37.314W
>+ Sleep mode: 13.298W
>...if you add to this the quoted 2W that a beagle board uses then they are not
bad numbers for an always on component of a MythTV system.
>(Of course you could also run other things on it as well like Torrenting etc)
>Then I could have a system/s with cards that only come on for recording and
don't even need to stay on when just watching recordings.

This looks very appealing but does that include the power required for the drives
themselves or simply the bare bones system (for the NAS)..