[mythtv-users] Cheap and quiet hardware for SD MythTV - possible?

Stroller stroller at stellar.eclipse.co.uk
Thu Jul 30 19:28:53 UTC 2009

Hi there,

My mum's Freeview box has just died - since a replacement is £30, I
started thinking about a PVR instead. Off the shelf ones are £80 to
£100 and this naturally started me thinking about MythTV, but I'm a
bit stumped on how to do MythTV without doubling the price.

I'm seeing £211 for an Asus Eee PC 900A, £195 for an Apple TV, a local
supplier does Atom-based motherboards (inc CPU, AIUI) for £60 inc VAT,
but then I can't see affordable cases to go with them.

I haven't been following MythTV in a couple of years, so I guess I was
kinda hoping there'd be competitive options for a set-top-box by now.
Either an Atom-based PC, or a MythTV-friendly Linux distro shoehorned
onto a regular set-top-box, or something like the Neuros OSD. My
Googling isn't coming up with much suitable - it's kinda a shame the
hardware options don't seem to have improved much in the last couple
of years [1]. Or am I missing something?

Any suggestions gratefully received,

Stroller.

[1] I don't mean to criticise MythTV when I say that.