[mythtv-users] stereo+AC3/DTS sound to both analog+digital outputs

Steve V olivuts at yahoo.com
Thu Jul 30 21:45:05 UTC 2009

----- Original Message ----

the issue I have is.

Normal mode, I want sound out on HDMI but without AC3 passthrough to HDMI. This is because my TV cannot handle AC3.

Movie Mode, I want sound out on SPDIF with AC3 passthrough to SPDIF.

I can get part of what I want by setting the default sound device to HDMI and setting AC3 passthrough to SPDIF, this works for many situations as non AC3 tracks are played through my TV speakers and AC3 goes to my receiver. However I have 1 TV station that has both an AC3 and an AAC track, the AC3 track is the default, so when I watch this station (or a recordign from this station) I either have to change the audio track or turn on the reciever.

For the staion with the AC3 track I find that if I have no passthrough checked, sound plays through the TV fine.

So it seems to me that what I need is a simple way to check and uncheck passthrough, without having to go into setup.