[mythtv-users] overscan problems with nvidia 8400 GS

Tortise tortise at paradise.net.nz
Fri Jul 31 21:37:33 UTC 2009

----- Original Message -----
From: "Dale Pontius" <DEPontius at edgehp.net>
To: "Discussion about mythtv" <mythtv-users at mythtv.org>
Sent: Thursday, July 30, 2009 8:45 AM
Subject: Re: [mythtv-users] overscan problems with nvidia 8400 GS

Tortise wrote:

> Dale Pontius wrote:
>> The current tool is "nvidia-settings", and it's been pretty well proven
>> to not work for 8xxx+ cards.  However, as mentioned before, the system
>> I'm using now has an nVidia 6200, and last night I looked with a mirror,
>> and it has an S-Video connector.  So I dug out the manual, and sure
>> enough, it has TV-Out.  One of these days I'm going to swap.
>
> I would check the driver version you want, I think you need the 173 driver - and a compatible card - which means <= 5xxx NVIDIA
> cards - check the reference I gave you.  I don't think a 6200 will be any better, except to use less power!
>
> Also I suggest that you read about S-video on wikipedia.

I have driven the 6200 with a 173-series driver, probably earlier too,
considering that I set this system up 3+ years ago.

Looking at http://us.download.nvidia.com/XFree86/Linux-x86/173.14.18/README/appendix-a.html I note the 173 drivers also support the
8400 GS!

Perhaps you can use 173.x overscan capabilities with the 8400GS card?  How about that for an idea worth trying?