[mythtv-users] Upgrade irblaster LIRC Woes

Douglas Wagner douglasw0 at gmail.com
Tue Jun 2 21:44:36 UTC 2009

On Tue, Jun 2, 2009 at 4:31 PM, auric <auric at aanet.com.au> wrote:

> > Date: Tue, 02 Jun 2009 09:14:47 -0400
> > From: "Edward Brookhouse" <ebroo at healthydirections.com>
> > Subject: [mythtv-users] Upgrade irblaster LIRC Woes (but fixed
> >       watching live   tv)
> > To: "mythtv-users at mythtv.org" <mythtv-users at mythtv.org>
> >
> > Hi all,
> >

> > I recently upgraded my frontend and backend to the latest stable, using
> Mythdora, (I know this should go on the Mythdora list, but since this is
> just as mythtv specific as mythdora...)
> >

> > I've managed to get everything back up and running except my irblaster.
> Over two weeks I have tried everything up to replacing the blaster itself
> because I couldn't see it emitting any IR.
> >

> > Still no joy - all modules load fine, /dev/lircd1 gets created by
> lirc_serial as it should, but irsend never actually seems to transmit
> anything from the blaster. The serial ports worked before I rebuilt the OS,
> but can anyone offer any additional thoughts on troubleshooting?
> >

> > I did manage to fix my watching live tv issues (I could record fine, but
> watching live tv blinked for a few then returned) my fix was to delete the
> capture card from mythtv-setup, and re-add.
> >

> > Edward
> >
> I'm running Fedora 10, not mythdora, but had the same issue. Have never
> been able to get the lirc serial driver supplied by Fedora to work.
>
> I download the lirc source. Configure and compile the lirc_serial driver
> and then copy the resulting lirc_serial.ko over the one supplied by the
> Fedora kernel. i.e. you don't need to do a full make install, just
> replace the lirc_serial kernel driver. You have to re-do this for every
> new kernel.
> See http://web.aanet.com.au/~auric/ <http://web.aanet.com.au/%7Eauric/>for a bit more info.
>
> Auric

Just out of pure curiosity, and this could be WAY off base, but have you
checked that with the new kernel your serial port you have the IR Blaster
connected to isn't being used by another process, like mgetty?

It's been a LONG time since I've setup LIRC (I am anal about copying that
configuration across upgrades and backing up the boxes before
re-installations) but I seem to remember something about having to turn off
the serial port in init or otherwise taking control of it away from the OS
for LIRC to pick it up.

Again, it's been a long time and I may be way off base here.

--Doug