[mythtv-users] distro

Paul Gallaway pgallaway at gmail.com
Wed Jun 3 18:22:30 UTC 2009

Marius, what driver version are you using? Debian (or maybe Nvidia?)
recently changed the way the driver is packaged. I found out when I
had breakage on a Lenny system when I failed to correctly load the
module after an update. You need to make sure you have the nvidia-glx
package installed before doing the nvidia-source compile. Not sure how
the Sidux scripts handle this but I was able to compile the Sid 180.44
libraries by repository pinning on a Lenny (and also Squeeze) system.
It was the upgrade to kernel 2.6.26-2 that broke my compiling system
requiring the installation of the additional nvidia-glx package.

On Wed, Jun 3, 2009 at 9:50 AM, Johnny <jarpublic at gmail.com> wrote:
> Being up to date is probably the primary difference between Debian and
> Ubuntu. Ubuntu is on a relatively rapid update schedule (every six
> months) compared to Debian (when its done).

This is true for Stable, but there's more to it than that. However,
Debian development consists of three main branches; stable (currently
Lenny), testing (currently Squeeze) and unstable (always called Sid).
There's also an experimental branch I've seen mentioned but not quite
certain what it is - but assume that it is the unstable version of
unstable...

Stable, is what it is. It doesn't rock the boat and mainly receives
updates for security. Much like the MythTV fixes branch you don't see
new features added here. Not the same as the LTS releases but probably
the same target users.

Unstable is a rolling architecture, no release, never frozen - the
best you can hope for is a snapshot. This is the bleeding edge and
this is the basis for the Ubuntu release. Some, but not all, of the
Ubuntu code will make it back upstream into Unstable, but Unstable is
a constantly moving target.

Testing is both a rolling architecture, and at some unknown point it
will be frozen more like the Stable branch. When a package is stable
enough in Sid it moves into testing. When it's frozen updates will be
limited to bug fixes and patches much like stable. When it reaches an
acceptable threshold it is pushed out as the new Stable branch,
testing is unfrozen and updates from Sid start dripping in again.

This is of course the poor man's Cole's Notes version. See Debian.org
for more info.

I've actually switched from Debian to Ubuntu and now back to Debian.

--
~pAul.

        all good things. all in good time.