[mythtv-users] Switching backends

Michael T. Dean mtdean at thirdcontact.com
Wed Jun 3 19:15:18 UTC 2009

On 06/03/2009 03:11 PM, Johnny wrote:
>> I have finally completed setting up a new backend (the old FE/BE will
>> now be FE only).  Is it possible to copy things like the recording
>> schedule and previously recorded shows, etc to the new BE?  I don't
>> want to do a full database backup/restore (do I?).  Just copy these
>> few things.  It would be nice to not loose recordings, but I don't
>> mind if they go away.  My interest is the items I listed before.
>>
> Sounds like you will want to use the official backup/restore scripts:
> http://www.mythtv.org/wiki/Database_Backup_and_Restore. You probably
> want to focus on the partial restore option. Either way I would
> definitely do a full backup. The wiki will tell you everything you
> need to know.

Right.  Full backup, then restore either the full backup or do a partial
restore.  Make sure you use the scripts as the directions in the HOWTO
will corrupt your database, but the scripts will not.

The most important thing to do, however, is to make sure you have the
hostnames correct /before/ you start any mythtv programs
(mythbackend/mythfrontend/mythtv-setup).  The /easiest/ approach is to
make sure you do not change hostname--i.e. if you're moving the backend
to a different system, move the hostname with it.

Mike