[mythtv-users] Auto-transcoding HD -> problems

Bob Sully rcs at malibyte.net
Thu Jun 4 03:10:54 UTC 2009

Hi all -

I have noticed that if I enable auto-transcoding (lossless), transcoded HD
recordings almost always play back with frequent periods of herky-jerky
audio and video (often out of sync).  This doesn't happen on lower-res
(i.e. s-video output from the STB) recordings, and doesn't happen at all
(on HD or otherwise) if I disable transcoding.  Interestingly, the problem
doesn't seem to be *in* the transcoded file itself, because sometimes, if
I "rewind" over one of these areas, it plays OK.

This is a very capable system (Q6600 with plenty of RAM, nvidia 8600GT,
using JYA's upgraded 0.21 packages with VDPAU (release; still with the
nvidia 180.xx drivers), on Ubuntu Jaunty).  However, this had happened
before on 8.10 with the standard Ubuntu binaries, long before I upgraded
to JYA's packages).

There must be something simple that I have misconfigured.  Anyone else
have a fix for this?

Also, I still have some tearing (though not very often) despite disabling
the "composite" option in xorg.conf, and the correct options in
nvidia-settings.  Not that much of an issue, but I'd like to fix it if
possible.

Thanks!