[mythtv-users] first build, $695 - extra eyes, please

Alex Butcher mythlist at assursys.co.uk
Thu Jun 4 11:55:27 UTC 2009

On Thu, 4 Jun 2009, Jos Hoekstra wrote:

> Alex Butcher schreef op 4-6-2009 11:35:
>> On Thu, 4 Jun 2009, Troy Goodson wrote:
>>
>>> I'm looking to build my first rig.  I want HDMI audio/video and I want to
>>> be able to play high-bitrate H.264 movies.  I plan on hooking this up to a
>>> 42-inch Panasonic Plasma TV.
>>
>> Right, at some point you're going to want to use VDPAU, then. VDPAU
>> requires
>> a Geforce 8 series GPU or better.
>>
>>> I'd really appreciate any extra eyes to give feedback on what I've listed,
>>> below, particularly because I've never built a PC before and may have
>>> missed something obvious.  I plan on installing MythDora and find out just
>>> how easy it is :)
>>>
>>> Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-E7AUM-DS2H
>>> $80 http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813128072
>>
>> This mobo only includes a Geforce 7100. I'd suggest getting a Gigabyte or
>> Asus-branded Intel chipset motherboard (the P45 based boards are probably
>> good enough if you're never planning on using the rig for gaming) and an
>> add-on VGA card (either a Geforce 8 or better, or something cheap for now,
>> then upgrade when you need to).
>
> The link is another board than described, the Gigabyte GA-E7AUM-DS2H is using
> a 9400 which in my experience is plenty.

Oops! Well spotted, Jos! I'd imagine that the 9400 is plenty, too.

That said, I still prefer Intel chipset motherboards for stability, after
some bad experiences with third-party (VIA, SiS) chipsets. Lots of people
get on fine with 'em, though. Also, an replaceable GPU might give useful
headroom for later upgrades.

> Jos Hoekstra

Best Regards,
Alex.