[mythtv-users] first build, $695 - extra eyes, please

Kevin Bailey ke-myth at retriever.dyndns.org
Thu Jun 4 15:18:41 UTC 2009

On Thu, Jun 04, 2009 at 08:16:09AM -0400, Larry T wrote:

> Why are you looking at the 2 pcHDTV cards instead of an HDHomeRun? http://
> www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16815327005
>
> I have both a pcHDTV-5500 and an HDHR (and a PVR-150) and both were fairly easy
> to configure. I have never made use of the pcHDTV-5500's analog recording
> capability because I found it cumbersome to have to record the audio stream
> separately. I prefer the HDHR for the ease of setup and I can plug the HDHR and
> its associated coaxial cables in a closet without the need for extra clutter by
> my TV. There is also a good amount of cost savings for the single HDHR over the
> two pcHDTV-5500's if all you care about is the digital recording capability.

The HDHR is certainly cheaper and more convenient but
a few clarifications.

Unless the 5500 is different than the 3000, you don't need
to do anything special to record analog audio. Just
enable the feature in the EEPROM. Analog is going away
in a few days, but another use may be to convert some
old VHS tapes.

My pcHDTV3000 has a better tuner than my HDHR, and,
unless there's been a change that I missed, it can
do multirec.