[mythtv-users] Printable TV Guide

Michael T. Dean mtdean at thirdcontact.com
Thu Jun 4 15:32:58 UTC 2009

On 06/04/2009 04:48 AM, Ma Begaj wrote:
> 2009/6/4 Ian Bonham:
>
>> I'm doing some research at the moment and am looking for some help if
>> possible.
>>
>> I've got over 300 channels coming in here via satellite, some of which
>> populate their guide data with EPG, some don't. This makes the TV guide
>> complicated as often I'm seeing 'No Data' in the guide. I'm on Astra 28.2E
>> in Europe by the way.
>>
>> I mainly follow the BBC, ITV, Channel 4, and Sky News, maybe a couple of
>> others.
>>
>> What I am looking to do is create a way of pressing a button on my remote,
>> which then takes a list of user chosen channels, and prints a landscape A4
>> of the TV guide for those channels.
>>
>> Maybe it's 9pm. I hit the blue-button on my MCE remote, and the printer
>> throws out a sheet displaying a grid format (i.e. MythWeb style) for just
>> channels I have chosen to be printed for the next 3/6 hours?
>>
>> It may sound a 'bit' odd wanting a hard copy of a TV guide, but I am not the
>> only one in the house and the TV guide on dead-tree was always fun for
>> circling programs. In an "I am watching this so try to stop me!" way!
>>
>> I have had a look through the Mythweb code, but it's functioned all over the
>> place and I got lost! What I'm thinking is design a script that pumps out
>> PostScript based on selections made by the users for the channels they want
>> on their dead-tree TV guide. If we did it to landscape A4, we could make it
>> easilly readable.
>>
>> I'm aiming to work on this, but I'd like some help if possible? I did look
>> at FreeGuide as an option, but the print format is awful. Also, FreeGuide
>> doesn't time-shift when you are in a different time-zone. So we need to use
>> Myth's database. Can anyone suggest a routine for grabbing data from MySQL
>> that would produce the same 15 min block format used in MythWeb for selected
>> channels?
>>
>> I think this would be very exciting code to design, and hope I can get some
>> help with this aim.
>>
>> Thanks in advance for reading my posting,
> I like the idea very much. But it could be maybe even simpler:
>
> 1. save mythtweb guide page with "wget http://localhost/mythtv/....."
> 2. converts html to pdf: there are a lot of html2pdf converter:
> http://www.google.com/search?q=html2pdf
> 3. print it
>

> problem 1: you cannot choose the day or something similar
> -> you could use one button on your remote for "print today" and
> another button for "print tommorow"

I'm guessing you're referring to the lack of a user-interface for
choosing as MythWeb allows you to choose:

/tv/list?time=1244132641

where the time is the Unix time (seconds since 1970-01-01 00:00:00 UTC).

> problem 2: not enough place on one A4 paper.
> -> you could make a custom CSS which could put more information on the
> paper by using smaller fonts, smaller channel icons...

and removing the not-required header section.

Or, better may be using the MythXML interface to request raw XML data
and transform (only the data you want) using XSL-T (for HTML, for
example) or XSL-FO (for direct-to-PDF or whatever).  See
http://www.gossamer-threads.com/lists/mythtv/dev/323174#323174 for info
on using MythXML.  (Note that in trunk, the information is returned
inclusively, but in 0.21-fixes, it's exclusive.  So, in trunk if you
request shows from StartTime = EndTime, you'll get all shows that
overlap that particular time.  If you do the same in -fixes, you'll get
no shows, as no shows are fully contained within that particular time span.)

Just don't kill too many trees.  ;)

Mike