[mythtv-users] first build, $695 - extra eyes, please

stefan_jones at comcast.net stefan_jones at comcast.net
Thu Jun 4 18:50:44 UTC 2009

> On Thursday 04 June 2009 04:39:44 Troy Goodson wrote:
> > I'm looking to build my first rig. I want HDMI audio/video and I want
> > to be able to play high-bitrate H.264 movies. I plan on hooking this
> > up to a 42-inch Panasonic Plasma TV.
> >
> > I'd really appreciate any extra eyes to give feedback on what I've
> > listed, below, particularly because I've never built a PC before and
> > may have missed something obvious. I plan on installing MythDora and
> > find out just how easy it is :)
> >
> > Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-E7AUM-DS2H
> > $80 http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813128072
> >
> > Processor: Intel E8400 Wolfdale Core 2 Duo 3.0 GHz
> > $165 http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16819115037
> >
> > Cooler: SilverStone NT07-775
> > $27 - http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16835220034
> >
> > Memory: 2GB, 240-pin DIMM, DDR2 PC2-6400 - CT25664AA800
> > $27 http://www.crucial.com/store/mpartspecs.aspx?mtbpoid=525435EDA5CA7304
> >
> > Capture: PCHDTV HD-5500 x2 (dual tuners)
> > $227 http://www.pchdtv.com/hd_5500.html
> >
> > Drive: Hitachi 1TB Serial-ATA Hard Drive
> > $70
> > http://www.zipzoomfly.com/jsp/ProductDetail.jsp?ProductCode=10009440&prodli
> >st=cj
> >
> > DVD burner: LG 22X DVD-Writer
> > $22 http://www.provantage.com/lg-electronics-gh22ns30~7LGE905C.htm
> >
> > IR Remote + receiver: Anyware HA-IR01SV
> > $22 - http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16880121001
> >
> > Case: Rosewill R379-SM, PSU 300W
> > $55 http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16811147098
> >
> > Total: $695, probably a little less than that...

* General comment: Probably overkill.

* I don't see a video card. Does the motherboard GPU have the umph for the job?

* As others have mentioned, the processor you list is probably way overkill. With a video card that supports VDPAU you can get away with a much more modest processor. You'll still want some spare power so Myth can work on background jobs while you view video. 4 gb of the fastest supported memory, and a nice fast drive, might be more of a boost than a faster processor.

Have fun! MythBoxen are neat projects.