[mythtv-users] first build, $695 - extra eyes, please

Geoffrey Leach geoff at hughes.net
Fri Jun 5 02:28:42 UTC 2009

On 06/04/2009 01:39:44 AM, Troy Goodson wrote:
> I'm looking to build my first rig.  I want HDMI audio/video and I
> want
>
> to be able to play high-bitrate H.264 movies.  I plan on hooking this
>
> up to a 42-inch Panasonic Plasma TV.
>
> I'd really appreciate any extra eyes to give feedback on what I've
> listed, below, particularly because I've never built a PC before and
> may have missed something obvious.  I plan on installing MythDora and
>
> find out just how easy it is :)
>
> Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-E7AUM-DS2H
> $80 http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813128072

I'm assuming that you're running on a Linus disto -- does MythTV do
Windoze? That being the case, you should be aware that Nvidia-based
systems are not supported in the leading distos, the drivers being
binary-only. Kernels with builtin Nvidia drivers are available from
other sources, or its easy to install them yourself. People will give
you strange looks, however.

119.99 http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813131348

I can give thumbs up to the ASUS P5N7A-VM

> Processor:  Intel E8400 Wolfdale  Core 2 Duo 3.0 GHz
>   $165 http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?
> Item=N82E16819115037
>
> Cooler:  SilverStone NT07-775
> $27 - http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16835220034

12.99
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?
Item=N82E16835186009&Tpk=Arct
Cooling Alpine 7

Well-made, very quiet.

> Memory:  2GB, 240-pin DIMM, DDR2 PC2-6400 - CT25664AA800
> $27 http://www.crucial.com/store/mpartspecs.aspx?
> mtbpoid=525435EDA5CA7304

I like Corsair, but WTH.

> Capture: PCHDTV HD-5500 x2 (dual tuners)
> $227  http://www.pchdtv.com/hd_5500.html

I have had great success with HD HomeRun. Comes with an IR receiver
too.

> Drive: Hitachi 1TB Serial-ATA Hard Drive
> $70 http://www.zipzoomfly.com/jsp/ProductDetail.jsp?
> ProductCode=10009440&prodlist=cj
>
> DVD burner: LG 22X DVD-Writer
> $22 http://www.provantage.com/lg-electronics-gh22ns30~7LGE905C.htm
>
> IR Remote + receiver:  Anyware HA-IR01SV
> $22 - http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16880121001
>
> Case: Rosewill R379-SM, PSU 300W
>   $55 http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16811147098

Be careful here. You want a quiet system, unless its going to be inside
the furniture.  This case has 2 120mm fans plus the one in the PS. I
run them at low speed; almost inaudible. Quiet PC likes the case as
well. FWIW, mine came with a dead PS, but no trouble replacing it.
PS is 380 watt. The Rosewill case has just one 80mm fan. It is going to
be _very_ busy.

119.99
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?
Item=N82E16811129034&Tpk=Ante
NSK2480

> Total: $695, probably a little less than that...

Mine adds up to more, but not much over the life of the system, I would
say.

Good luck.