[mythtv-users] Incomming WAF Problem: NFS "Crashing" on Jaunty

Douglas Wagner douglasw0 at gmail.com
Fri Jun 5 20:36:20 UTC 2009

On Fri, Jun 5, 2009 at 3:21 PM, Steve Heistand <steve at heistand.org> wrote:

> On Fri, 5 Jun 2009 13:29:25 -0500, Douglas Wagner wrote
> > Ok, so I've got 3 days to figure this one out before my WAF goes to the
> > tubes.
> >
> > Been using Myth for a few years now.  A year or two ago I came across
> > mythbuntu and was pretty impressed so I installed 8.04.  Last week, due
> > wanting some better tools, and a successful upgrade of my ubuntu desktop
> at
> > work, I decided to upgrade to mythbuntu 9.04 Jaunty.
> >
> > Did a double network upgrade (8.04 -> 8.10 -> 9.04).  The upgrade got
> hung
> > up in the 8.10 ->9.04 side with some symbolic links to NFS shares and
> didn't
> > install correctly.  Removing and adding a few packages (basically a readd
> of
> > the mythbuntu consolidated package) fixed the issue and has the machine
> up
> > and running.
> >
> > Now, however, i'm facing a rather large issue.  I have all of my video
> > shares (other than a small 250GB drive in the Myth Box that gets the
> initial
> > recording) on NFS Shares shared from my NAS Box.  At this point,it seems
> > that periodically (at MOST every 24 hours but I'm guessing it's only
> taking
> > a few hours) my Myth box looses NFS connectivity, to the point where it
> > cannot see any of my NFS shares anymore.  At this point the mythfrontend
> > goes into a "hung up" state when attempting to access the recording or
> video
> > section (the stuff on the nas is symbolic linked through NFS to LOOK like
> > files on the local system.  Yes, I know this is so Myth 0.19 and there's
> > other ways to do this now).
> >
> > The root cause seems to be myth being unable to read from NFS.  I can
> > unmount but not remount the NFS shares.  Restarting NFS-COMMON doesn't
> seem
> > to help.
> >
> > I CANNOT have this box having to be rebooted every few hours to make it
> > useful.  Anyone have any ideas what the heck is going on?  Rebooting the
> > myth box brings the NFS shares back with no problems at all.  Last night
> > restarted the NAS box and did a remount of everything and all was in good
> > shape...so it seems I can "fix" it from either end.
> >
> > I can tell it's not the NAS system, because I have some of the same
> shares
> > mounted on other boxes and no other box other than the Myth box has
> issues
> > with the shares (i.e. When the myth box can't access them the rest of the
> > boxes can.)
> >
> > All of the exports on the NAS use the same export type (pretty basic):
> >
> > /mnt/video3 192.168.100.0/24(rw,async)<http://192.168.100.0/24%28rw,async%29>
> >
> > And are being mounted as follows:
> >
> > nas:/mnt/video3         /mnt/video3             nfs
> > intr,rsize=8192,wsize=8192,async,nfsvers=3,bg,actimeo=0,tcp

> [...]

That was the other question I wondered because I've managed to spend a
significant period watching a movie or transcoding with no problems but the
moment I leave the $#&U* thing idle, the NFS mounts die on me.

I've got things mounted via CIFS at the moment, I want to see if that is
stable before I start backdating kernel or otherwise mucking with stuff.

Thanks for the advice.

--Doug