[mythtv-users] 50Hz DVB frame rate with 60Hz TV HDMI input

Bill Williamson bill at bbqninja.com
Sat Jun 6 14:01:45 UTC 2009

On Sat, Jun 6, 2009 at 11:48 PM, Justin Smith <justin at smithpolglase.com>wrote:

> Hi Jean-Yves (or anyone else who can help),
>
> I think I read on this list that you are in Aus and have a Sony TV. I've
> been looking into upgrading my TV recently have downloaded a couple of the
> Sony user manuals to check out the features. According to these, the HDMI
> interfaces only support 1080p @ 60Hz when connected to a PC, not 50Hz which
> is broadcast in Aus.
>
> Have you found this to cause any loss in picture quality when using Myth
> with Aus HDTV?
>
> Or is there a way to drive the TVs at 50Hz?
>
> I've noticed that other TV's have similar specs (e.g. recent Samsung LCD
> TVs).

MANY tv's will not take under 60hz when connected via VGA, but no 50hz with
hdmi?  That just doesn't make sense.  What would happen if you got a blu ray
player and bought a tv show that was 50fps?  Etc.

Have you tried driving the TV via hdmi at a "real" hdtv resolution (easy one
is 1280x720) and 50hz just to see?