[mythtv-users] Myth experiences with Zotac ION + ATOM mobo

Brian Wood beww at beww.org
Sat Jun 6 17:47:18 UTC 2009

On Saturday 06 June 2009 11:08:55 Tom Lichti wrote:
> On Sat, Jun 6, 2009 at 12:31 PM, Tom Lichti<redpepperracing at gmail.com>
wrote:

> >> I once had a mb that got the ram voltage wrong (it undervolted). Did
> >> you try manual dimm BIOS settings that match the dimm specs?
> >
> > It doesn't come up to the BIOS, it shuts down before that.
> >
> > Tom
>
> Tried a different power supply, same problem.

Well that would seem to eliminate one problem (though it's not unheard of to
have 2 bad supplies). Have you checked the rating on the second supply to
make sure you're not overloading it?

So we have to look at what's different between running your board without RAM
and with it.

Obviously you will draw more current with the RAM installed. The board will
have circuitry to determine what voltage the memory wants, and create that
voltage from the main supply (in this case 19 volts).

So the voltage regulating circuitry on your board might be bad, or the RAM
itself might be defective. It's unlikely you have two bad DIMMs, since you
tried them one at a time and they both caused the problem.

This assumes you are using the correct RAM for the board.

It boils down to bad RAM, or a bad board. The only relatively simply way to
find out is by substitution, though that's certainly inconvenient.

If you have a milliammeter you can put in series with the 19V supply you might
be able to tell if the board is drawing excessive current, causing the
shutdown of the supply, or of the on-board regulators.

I guess your only other option at this point is to talk to the
manufacturer/vendor.

--
beww
beww at beww.org