[mythtv-users] Mythbuntu mythtv-database wants to erase my database.

Michael T. Dean mtdean at thirdcontact.com
Sat Jun 6 18:25:20 UTC 2009

On 06/06/2009 02:08 PM, Douglas Wagner wrote:
> On Fri, Jun 5, 2009 at 8:11 PM, Bill Williamson wrote:
>
>> On Sat, Jun 6, 2009 at 10:09 AM, Michael T. Dean wrote:
>>
>>> However, anytime there's a protocol or schema update in -fixes, it's
>>> always done in such a way as to ensure a clean upgrade from -fixes to the
>>> next-released version will be possible without any manual intervention
>>> (assuming a properly configured database/database server--where that
>>> disclaimer will likely make more sense when 0.22 is released).
>> I've never had a myth update go wrong, so I'm not complaining :)
>>
>> I was just wanting to clear that up... The official advice given since I've
>> run mythtv (which is only since .17/.18 so I'm not a really old timer) is
>> "You must run the exact same svn revision of -fixes across all machines in a
>> farm."
>>
>> If this is not the case, and ANY .XX version .21 or greater is guaranteed
>> to be compatible across back and frontends, it should probably be published
>> on the wiki/FAQ.  It's very good news for people who don't want to run the
>> same distribution for front and back ends, and for people who perhaps want a
>> mac frontend.
>>
>> The only solution for those people used to be to self-build as none of the
>> distros keep exactly in sync with eachother.
> I'd actually be interested in hearing the "official" on that last question:
> Will any version of .21 work with any version of .21?  In other words could
> you have, say, a Mac frontend and a linux backend (which would likely be on
> different myth versions given distribution releases) and NOT have an issue?
>
> I see this upcoming in my future and just wanted some foreknowledge...

The official position is you must use the same SVN revision on all
systems.  If you use different ones and don't see any problems and
you're happy, that's fine.  If you use different ones and /do/ see
problems, it's up to you to verify that the differing versions are not
causing the issues /before/ reporting any bugs to Trac/wasting the
developers' limited time (i.e. ask on -users list first, test with
identical revisions, ...).

Mike