[mythtv-users] backend still recording live tv after frontend shutdown

Michael T. Dean mtdean at thirdcontact.com
Wed Jun 10 15:51:18 UTC 2009

On 06/10/2009 03:59 AM, Thomas Mørch wrote:
> I have a small tunerless frontend, that streams livetv from my
> backend. If I kill the frontend, without exiting live tv, the backend
> continues to record the livetv, and filling the harddisk / occupying a
> tuner.

It won't fill the hard disk unless your capture card produces more bits
in 24 hours than you have on your disk.  LiveTV is deleted after 24h (by
default, but you can increase it).

> The WAF score dropped a couple of points last night, when she just
> switched off the tv, and I started to complain because she didn't stop
> the live tv first.
>
> So Is there a way to prevent this behaviour? and thus increase the
> WAF? (She's not that impressed with me fiddling arround with the
> system, so she can't figure out how to watch tv..)

A) Fix your shutdown script so that it properly exits LiveTV before
allowing the system to shutdown (i.e. send a Main Menu jump point
command through the telnet interface or whatever).

B) Execute:

mysql -umythtv -p mythconverg \
      -e "INSERT INTO settings VALUES ('LiveTVIdleTimeout', '65', NULL);"

to set a 65 minute timeout for LiveTV.

C) Don't use LiveTV, use Myth as if it were a DVR (i.e. have recorded so
much TV that the chances of something better airing right now are
negligible).

Mike