[mythtv-users] Myth experiences with Zotac ION + ATOM mobo

Tom Lichti redpepperracing at gmail.com
Wed Jun 10 16:59:50 UTC 2009

On Wed, Jun 10, 2009 at 12:31 PM, Preston
Crow<pc-mythtv08a at crowcastle.net> wrote:
> On Wed, 2009-06-10 at 09:26 -0700, Jim Stichnoth wrote:
>> On Wed, Jun 10, 2009 at 12:01 AM, Robert Johnston<anaerin at gmail.com> wrote:
>> > Out of interest, why not use a CF card and a CF-IDE (Or CF-SATA)
>> > adaptor? It's not like they're expensive. And with tiny power
>> > consumption, flash speeds for ultra-fast booting (Especially with the
>> > newer high-speed cards), sizes up to 32GB for storing your linux
>> > system, and no noise, there's little in the way of downsides.
>>
>> Assuming you're not using a microdrive, is there any benefit of using
>> CF and an IDE/SATA adapter over a USB stick?  Also assuming one's
>> system is capable of booting from a USB drive.
>
> DMA
>
> USB is not optimized for block transfer, so it uses a lot more CPU
> overhead to transfer data than something like IDE, SATA, or FireWire.

Once my frontend is booted, I don't think it hits the disk at all, so
I'm not too worried about that. The only time the disk gets hit is
when I recompile, which is not that often, and I'm not usually
watching anything when I do that anyway. It is also a slave backend,
but it doesn't record all that much, and when it does, it uses NAS
disk, and the DB is on another server, so again local disk usage is
minimal.

Tom