[mythtv-users] nVidia drivers 185.18.14 now out, ubuntu mythtv packages update ...

Jean-Yves Avenard jyavenard at gmail.com
Wed Jun 10 21:11:47 UTC 2009

Hi

Sent from my iPhone

On 11/06/2009, at 4:36 AM, Clay <nt4usb at yahoo.com> wrote:

> aah...
> This may explain why last nights update bjorked the video on my
> Hardy frontend.
> Didn't think to roll back to the 180. Went all the way back to 173
> that I knew worked...
>
> btw, do you (or anyone?) know how to disable that hateful
> 'bulletprof' x that forces a vga display whenever x breaks?
> It makes it impossible to configure x remotely since the stupid 'low
> graphics mode' message prevents gdm from stopping and/or restarting.
> Of all the irritating 'Windows like' niggles the developers are
> adding to Ubuntu, this one has to be tops.
> More than once, (and once for real) I've wanted to smash my keyboard
> over my knee, fighting that 'feature'...
> If I wanted 'idiot proof', I'd use Windows. *g*
>
> Thanks again for your contributions, JYA!

I do everything remotely. When this happens, I log in the PC using
ssh. Run /etc/init.d/gdm stop

Then do a ps ax | grep X
Kill all the X processes , look at the log to find out what went
wrong , fix it (in your case just reinstalling the video drivers) and
restart gdm. My frontend doesn't have a mouse or keyboard.