[mythtv-users] New system w poor quality picture

Justin The Cynical cynical at penguinness.org
Thu Jun 11 11:19:50 UTC 2009

Paul Gardiner wrote:
> Nick Rout wrote:

*snip*

>> who said anything about satellite?
>
> Ok, what about the first part of the question?: What's "an HD digital
> antenna?"  I'm in the UK. All we have that you can pick up with an

*snip*

That's an easy one.

A "HD digital antenna" is a bog standard antenna with a marketweasle
name tacked on to justify charging more for the same thing that cost
less before it had said name added to it.

Yes, I'm serious.  On this side of the pond, various companies seem to
have taken the stance needed to sell Y2K compliant network cable:  Add
'sexy' words and charge more.

Often, the only difference between the 'old' and 'new' is that they
charge more for it or make it look posh and 'hi-tech', then charge more
for it (even when it performs worse than the older designs).

 From the HDTV Chat FAQ at dslreports.com
(http://www.dslreports.com/faq/audiovideo/5.0_HDTV):

"There is no such thing as a digital/HD-specific antenna. The same
antennas made a few years ago are still being sold today and work just
fine for digital TV. The manufacturers simply stuck stickers on the
boxes or re-printed the boxes they use to include "Digital" and/or "HDTV"."