[mythtv-users] DTV Transition

Michael T. Dean mtdean at thirdcontact.com
Thu Jun 11 19:03:14 UTC 2009

On 06/11/2009 02:25 PM, Allen Edwards wrote:
> Could the first person to successfully do this Saturday please write
> down what works.  I have asked this before and getting, try this and
> if it doesn't work try this....  drives me nuts.  I followed the
> thread referenced above

I'm assuming you mean:
http://www.gossamer-threads.com/lists/mythtv/users/264034#264034

> and by the time I followed all the links, I was in an analog scan howto.

Do you mean http://www.mythtv.org/wiki/Frontend_Channel_Editor ?  If so,
that is /not/ an analog scan howto (QAM-256 and QAM-64 are by definition
digital).  I did, however, add explicit mention of OTA ATSC so that
people who see cable and think it doesn't apply (though the process is
identical for both) know that it does apply.

>  This is digital off the air we are talking about.  Cable users do not
> need to re-scan.
>
> Lots of people are going to be doing this in a couple of days so if
> some kind user would document if for everyone else you would make a
> lot of people happy.

I know /exactly/ how I'm doing my rescan...  Backup DB (
http://www.mythtv.org/wiki/Database_Backup_and_Restore ) /and/ backup
xmltvid's (
http://www.mythtv.org/wiki/Database_Backup_and_Restore#Backup_xmltvid_data_.28before_doing_a_full_channel_scan.29
), delete all video sources (
http://www.gossamer-threads.com/lists/mythtv/users/264034#264034 ),
create video source, connect input to most-preferred card, do a full
channel scan, connect inputs to other cards in the order of preferred
usage, restore xmltvids (
http://www.mythtv.org/wiki/Database_Backup_and_Restore#Restore_xmltvids_after_a_channel_scan
).  Then, after 10 minutes of effort (5-7 of which are waiting for the
channel scan to complete and 1 of which is waiting for the database
backup (50-seconds of which is waiting for the CPU to gzip it)), I'll be
back up and running as if nothing changed.

I also know that this approach works great--I've done it 10's of times
and it has worked every single time.

Mike