[mythtv-users] My road to HDTV

sonofzev at iinet.net.au sonofzev at iinet.net.au
Fri Jun 12 03:47:34 UTC 2009

>Now, my intended next step is to add a PCI firewire card (any recommendations?)

I would recommend anything with a T.I chipset. From researching into firewire
audio, across all platforms, a T.I based firewire card is recommended. Failing
that a VIA chipset is a reasonably close second for performance.... Keep away
from anything else especially Ricoh. This is based on audio devices, but I'm
pretty sure the performance is the same across the board. Unfortunately the PCI
cards with T.I. chipsets are a bit more difficult to find. It took me a few weeks
to get one from ebay.

>On a different issue, I would like to get 5.1 sound to my receiver.  My receiver
can accept optical digitial, coaxial digital or 6 channel direct input. I would
need either a low-profile PCI card or a USB device.  Any suggestions?

The Behringer UCA-202 is a reliable USB device with optical out. This supports
AC3 and DTS passthrough and is easy to setup with ALSA and follows the USB 1.1
standard for audio devices. I currently use one on one of my frontends.