[mythtv-users] DTV Transition

Tom Dexter digitalaudiorock at gmail.com
Sat Jun 13 02:11:36 UTC 2009

On Fri, Jun 12, 2009 at 8:59 PM, Allen Edwards<allen.p.edwards at gmail.com> wrote:

> On Fri, Jun 12, 2009 at 5:50 PM, Christopher X. Candreva <chris at westnet.com>
> wrote:
>>
>> On Fri, 12 Jun 2009, Tom Dexter wrote:
>>
>> > I just did a rescan (full scan with minimal updates), and it seems to
>> > have swapped around the frequencies just fine, except for a few
>> > stations that haven't switched yet...so I'll have to rescan again.
>>
>> Unfortunately, I found that I had to do a "Delete all tuners" and re-add
>> them.
>>
>> Most unfortunately, now all my recording schedules that had a specific
>> chanel say "Record any time on chanel ."
>>
>> That is the one flaw  in the often glibly given advice to "just" delete
>> all
>> tuners and re-add them.
>
> Why did you  have to rescan when the OP didn't?  What is the difference and
> is there any way to avoid it?
> Allen

If you're referring to me, just to be clear, I did do a full rescan,
only without deleting anything first.  I left the setting on handling
existing channels set to minimal updates.  Some time back I looked at
the code to get an idea what that would do if the DTV frequency
changed, and it appeared that it would create a new entry for the
frequency on the dtv_multiplex table (if none existed for that
frequency) and assign its mplexid to the channel table.  In my case it
appears that's exactly what occurred.  I had to rescan again as not
all the stations had switched frequencies when I first scanned.  I
also pointed my antenna toward Philly and rescanned to get frequency
changes in that market (again...full scan with minimal updates).

I'm not sure why there apparently are cases where this is an
issue...perhaps it has to do with my relatively simple setup.  I have
one video source (for my antenna) and three inputs all assigned to
that one source for three identical cards (HD-5500s), and I always
scan for the first input.

Tom