[mythtv-users] The state of trunk, vdpau, hd-pvr, etc

jedi jedi at mishnet.org
Mon Jun 15 15:45:04 UTC 2009

On Mon, Jun 15, 2009 at 07:45:16AM -0700, Jim Stichnoth wrote:
> On Mon, Jun 15, 2009 at 2:02 AM, Marius Schrecker<marius at schrecker.org> wrote:
> > Hi there,
> >
> >  After having some problems with Debian/my buggy hardware/Nvidia 9400GT, I
> > finally moved over to Mythbuntu this weekend, and have been very impressed
> > by how easy it has been to set up most things.
> >
> > At this rate I'll be ready for the next decision pretty soon, which is
> > whether to risk my wife's wrath, and buy a hd-pvr/hdfury2 setup to go with
> > Myth.
> >
> > Obviously this will need trunk to work, so can anyone say what the current
> > status is? Am I likely to encounter lots of problems getting it all playing
> > nicely? I'm thinking especially about vdpau/x264 from the hd-pvr which I
> > have heard is buggy, and instability of the weekly builds for 0.22 (which
> > must be getting pretty close to prime-time by now).
>
> Here is my personal experience on this.  I spent a weekend with
> everything moved to trunk, and my wife almost kicked me out of the
> house.  The real problem was with the themes, basically the fact that
> Terra was the only working theme and it was both incomplete and very
> different from blootube.  There are other, "unapproved", ways of

    I managed to alter the default theme enough such that it looks
more or less like what I was using before. Otherwise, I don't think
trunk would have gone over well in my household either.

    I can certainly see where you're coming from.

[deletia]

    My version of trunk works pretty well. Although vdpau playback is
very hit or miss. I need to try a newer version of trunk. The rest of
the system and the HDPVR backend are all more or less as stable as the
last release was (mebbe a little more unstable). My main problem was
that the HDPVR didn't get along with the first system I tried to connect
it too (ICH10). Although it gets along quite well with an i945 mini.

    If you are going to run trunk you need a rollback plan. You need
to be prepared to restore all of your old binaries and rollback your
database if anything goes wrong.