[mythtv-users] Another take on large-capacity disk enclosures

Another Sillyname anothersname at googlemail.com
Mon Jun 15 23:36:49 UTC 2009

2009/6/15 Brian Wood <beww at beww.org>:
> On Monday 15 June 2009 16:37:34 f-myth-users at media.mit.edu wrote:
>>     > Date: Mon, 15 Jun 2009 16:01:09 -0600
>>     > From: Brian Wood <beww at beww.org>
>>     >
>>     > I didn't find any standard PCI cards that were more than 4 drives.
>>
>> Do you mean, "anywhere?" or "including this card?"
>
> I didn't count the SuperMicro card as "standard PCI", though it will work in
> such slots, at reduced performance.
>

>> I mentioned that the reviews on Newegg of the Supermicro card claim
>> that it can, in fact, be used in a standard PCI slot, which is one
>> of the reasons I'm considering it.  I figure my ultimate performance
>> is likely to be limited by either the disk (if I'm using only one at
>> a time) or the Ethernet connection (even gig-E) anyway (and some of
>> the hosts on the other end will only be 100MB/sec Etherhet as well).
>> So hopefully going PCI and not PCI-X (or PCI for one card and PCI-X
>> for the other, depending on the mobo, etc) won't kill me.  I assume.
>
> It's the difference between 64 bits clocked at 133Mhz. (PCI-X) and 32-bits
> clocked at 33Mhz. (PCI) That a very substantial difference IMHO, even if the
> PCI-X is clocked down to 100Mhz. due to using two cards.
>
> Gigabit ethernet is actually faster than a standard PCI buss, though there are
> factors that can negate that speed advantage.
>
> --
> Brian Wood
> beww at beww.org

I haven't read all the posts in this thread so please excuse me if
this has been offered before...

A fairly simple and upgradable high density server can be built using
the following components....

Coolermaster Stacker Case (I'm not sure of the later versions but the
801 original version had 12 5.25" bays if you removed the front USB
connectors).
2 x 600w PSU's for load spreading
1 x Asus P5WDG2 Mobo - Supports PCI-X but is a workstation class board
so doesn't need ECC ram.
Up to 4 x Supermicro CSE-M35T Sata Chassis (each one takes up to 5 3.5" Drives)
Areca SATA Controller (Various options to suit)

Whatever Processor and Memory you feel is required.

The Mobo's are pretty rock solid and just run without fuss, the sata
chassis have fans and temp management so again pretty much just run.

Have fun.