[mythtv-users] [SPAM] Re: Another take on large-capacity disk enclosures

Glen Dragon gdragon at jetcom.org
Tue Jun 16 00:07:14 UTC 2009

On Mon, Jun 15, 2009 at 7:24 PM, Graham Mitchell <gmitch at woodlea.com> wrote:

> > If you pick your hardware right, you can get by much cheaper with esata +
> > port multipliers at little to no performance penalty, especially if you
> > design the wiring so that drives on the same port multiplier are in
> > different logical groups.  Port multipliers come in 1x5 versions, so 4
> > esata ports == 20 drives.  See the sata maillist for hardware that works.
>

> I used these as the 2 PCIe cards in my server
>
> http://www.addonics.com/products/host_controller/adsa3gpx1.asp
>
> You can get them cheaper, but I wanted a single stop solution for myself.
> You need to make sure that any SATA card you get is port multiplier ready,
> which the Sil 3132 chips are.
>
> For the port multipliers, I used these
>
> http://www.addonics.com/products/host_controller/ad5sapm.asp
>
> (I also used a couple of bridge boards
> (http://www.addonics.com/products/multilane/connector.asp) to connect the
> server processor box to the external disk box. I would stongly recommend
> NOT
> doing that... just use eSata cables and be done - the Infiniband cable
> (http://www.addonics.com/products/other/default.asp#ml) was the single
> most
> expensive component, and to be honest, wasn't worth it).

Another nod for the addonics stuff.    I run their 5 hdd hot swap bay in my
master backend/fileserver, connected into there 5->1 PM, connected to a 1x
PCIe card. I think the 1x lane of PCIe is the bottleneck, but I don't
notice. Been running that setup for 18 months

Also agreeing with the fact that you don't need crazy power for drives...  i
have 11 seagates humming, with a 2.66 GHZ c2q and an nvidia 8600 all running
off of a 550W powersupply.