[mythtv-users] Another take on large-capacity disk enclosures

Alex Butcher mythlist at assursys.co.uk
Tue Jun 16 09:26:01 UTC 2009

On Mon, 15 Jun 2009, Brian Wood wrote:

> On Monday 15 June 2009 20:41:59 Boleslaw Ciesielski wrote:
>> f-myth-users at media.mit.edu wrote:
>>> [I also don't know how common 66 Mhz 32-bit PCI slots are on typical
>>> motherboards, so it may be a moot point.]
>>
>> Extremely rare. In fact, I think I have only seen them on non-PC
>> (non-X86) workstations (forgot which).
>
> I think I have a couple of DecStations (Alpha CPUs) that have them, but I
> agree you're not likely to encounter them.
>
> That was a great CPU, too bad marketing killed it.

The Alpha was a great CPU for its day, but IMHO, a lot of its performance
came from its raw clockspeed and the roadmap was for that performance to be
maintained by aggrssively ramping it up in future models. In a way, that
mentality lived on in Intel's P4 NetBurst architecture which is widely
derided these days.

TBH, it was the economics that killed it; I worked for an Alpha system
builder in the late 90s, and the 500MHz Alphas we were selling were about
8-9x more expensive than comparable PII-266 systems, but only 2-3x faster.

Best Regards,
Alex