[mythtv-users] Another take on large-capacity disk enclosures

Yeechang Lee ylee at pobox.com
Tue Jun 16 23:09:38 UTC 2009

Robin Hill <myth at robinhill.me.uk> says:
> Oh, and just to add - mdadm is actually doing very little here.  The
> array construction/rebuild is all done by the md code within the kernel.

Yes; I misspoke when I specified mdadm, as opposed to the kernel
code.

It's definitely CPU bound for me, though. As noted, the 1.6GHz
processor isn't very spectacular nowadays, and during the long
rebuilds it tops one of the four cores out at 100% when viewed in
'top' then '1'. Possibly some peculiarity of the Fedora/CentOS kernels
I've always used?

--
Frontend/backend:	P4 3.0GHz, 1.5TB software RAID 5 array