[mythtv-users] Upgrading from 32-bit to 64-bit and maybe a distro switch?

John Haywood john at jhit.com.au
Wed Jun 17 13:44:42 UTC 2009

Well, its time

I'm currently running Mythdora 10.21 32-bit, and have just received my
new board/Core2Duo combo.
Theoretically, I should just be able to follow the upgrade guide and
dump out the database, configs and install the 64-bit version (the /
storage with all media & recordings is on a separate drive), and all
should be well.

However, I was thinking of taking the opportunity to transfer to
Mythbuntu 9.04 while I was at it.

I have a couple of questions regarding both the upgrade and the
possible migration:

Is the switch from 32-bit to 64-bit as painless as it seems - anything
to watch out for?
if I were to go over to Mythdora, presumably I can keep my /Storage
mount, but does Mythdora still use the convention of a different mysql
user than the mythtv login account?
Does Mythbuntu handle the DVICO FusionHDTV Remocon better than in 8.04
(I tried and it wasn't pretty)?
How is Mythbuntu 9.04 at wireless (I have an Atheros AR2414 - based
card that Mythdora still can't associate to my wep-based, hidden ESSID
-network )

All help appreciated, as always - and just point me in the direction
of the relevant FAQ if I'm asking the already-answered!!

cheers

john