[mythtv-users] VDPAU What Are Differences Btwn GeForce 8200/8300/9300/9400 integrated?

R. G. Newbury newbury at mandamus.org
Thu Jun 18 18:43:08 UTC 2009

David Knight wrote:
> On Thu, June 18, 2009 11:48 am, nospam312 wrote:
>> Does anyone know what the differences are between the GeForce
>> 8200/8300/9300/9400 when they are integrated onto a motherboard?
>>
>> I want to use VDPAU but am a bit perplexed on whether the 8xxx series
>> is fundamentally better than the 9xxxx?
>>
>> Is it worth paying the �30 or so more for a 9xxx series motherboard?

ISTR reading somewhere that the first figure (8/9) is the overall series
and generally the higher number means a higher operating chip speed.
The second number describes the capability grouping and higher numbers
mean more shaders or pipelines or whatever they are..

I suspect that the second number makes more of a difference for mythtv
users than the higher frequency of the first number. This is from
comments made on this list. People with a x500 series card seem
(overall) to be happier about the result, and report fewer problems such
as stuttering etc. I have a 9500 in my mythbox and it displays fewer
problems than the 9300 card in the desktop at work.

Of course, YMMV
Geoff