[mythtv-users] Streamzap recognizes button release, not press

Jarod Wilson jarod at wilsonet.com
Fri Jun 19 00:36:22 UTC 2009

On 06/18/2009 07:54 PM, Brad DerManouelian wrote:

> On Jun 18, 2009, at 4:45 PM, Jarod Wilson wrote:
>
>> On Jun 18, 2009, at 5:45 PM, Brad DerManouelian <bderman at gmail.com>
>> wrote:
>>
>>> Note that I see the receiver light up when pressing down, but irw
>>> only shows the command issued upon release.
>>
>> Not at all familiar w/the streamzap hardware, but it sounds like it
>> possibly passes along two distinct codes per button press, one for
>> "button being pressed" and one for "button released", and you have
>> lirc set up using the release code. Just a guess though.
>
> That's probably true. I'm trusting Harmony880's database for
> transmitting the right signals

It would be a function of the receiver, not the remote, if this is the
problem I'm thinking it might be. Do you have an actual StreamZap remote
you can test with?

> and ubuntu's packages for the lirc config.

I assume they're more or less the same configs from lirc.org, though
possibly w/the same key name standardization patch we've got in Fedora.
Doesn't mean the lirc.org config isn't wrong though...

> I couldn't get irrecord to do much of anything so I'm kind of
> stuck here.

That actually makes it sound even more like its indeed a case of the
receiver passing along two distinct codes per button press. Current iMON
hardware operates this way too. You don't get any raw IR passed on, its
decoded in the hardware, and then the hardware sends along a hex string
for each button press (repeating when held) and release. And that's also
why irrecord doesn't see squat -- there is no raw IR.

I built the initial mceusb profile for the iMON hardware (and the
profile for my Antec Veris Premiere) by simply dumping out the hex codes
from the receiver's buffer and putting those codes into the config file.
Might be able to do more or less the exact same thing with the StreamZap.

<time passes>

No, at first glance, it looks like the recevier actually does pass along
raw IR. I suppose its possible the StreamZap remote itself sends one
signal while a button is being pressed and another when its released
though, which probably wouldn't translate to the Harmony -- so far as I
know, its not possible to tell it to send one code while pressing a
button and a second on release, but I could be wrong. Haven't touched my
own 880's config in ages.

So yeah, I'd double-check how the original remote behaves, if you've got
it. Of course, irrecord failing to function is a bit baffling if the
receiver isn't doing onboard decode... I should just get a streamzap
receiver to add to my collection, lirc_streamzap is one of the few lirc
drivers I don't have hardware to test with...

--
Jarod Wilson
jarod at wilsonet.com