[mythtv-users] Upgrading from 32-bit to 64-bit and maybe a distroswitch?

Jarod Wilson jarod at wilsonet.com
Fri Jun 19 16:39:09 UTC 2009

On Jun 19, 2009, at 5:34 PM, match at ece.utah.edu wrote:

> On 19 Jun 2009 at 0:37, Jarod Wilson wrote:
>
>> Are people really still afraid of 64-bit? I've had my head in the
>> sand
>> with respect to this list for, well, a while... But my myth backend
>> has been running a 64-bit install for nearly four years now, if
>> memory
>> serves. My primary frontend has been 64-bit for around three years
>> off
>> and on (was a 32-bit Mac Mini for a while, currently a 64-bit Dell
>> Studio Hybrid, with a high probability of being replaced by something
>> that is 64-bit and nVidia graphics sooner than later...). Not to
>> mention my workstations at home and at the office, as well as my
>> laptop
>> that are all running a 64-bit install.
>>

> Nice to see you back on the list, Jarod.

Remains to be seen if it'll be an extended stay, or just a brief
visit... ;)

(Much harder to carve out the time for it when you have three time as
many kids as you did when you first started on the list, not to
mention the first one being almost 7 now...)

> All my MythTV boxen (5 of them) have been running 64-bit versions
> since
> the moment I upgraded the hardware from 32-bit CPU's. Switched from
> MythDora to MythBuntu when Dennis showed a reluctance to build a 64-
> bit
> spin of MythDora and move to a DVD, but being a RedHat/Fedora/CentOS
> guy I feel just a little lost. Might move back at the next release.

We did spit out both 64-bit and DVD MythDora 10, and will definitely
do so for the next release. We'd like to have something lock-step with
Fedora releases, but just don't have the manpower. The next release
will likely come when MythTV 0.22 is out, unless that winds up being
even further out than the Fedora 12 release (a month after which
Fedora 10 would no longer be supported, and thus MythDora 10 users
would stop getting updates).

> I'm looking at Fedora 11 now, and I notice that with each release
> Fedora
> acts a little more like Ubuntu. Why is that?

How so?

<asbestos underpants>
In my experience, the latest Ubuntu release typically has all sorts of
features that were already in the prior Fedora release... We (RH/
Fedora) write the code, test it, stabilize it, then Ubuntu ships it,
claims credit (or at least doesn't say boo when they get the credit
that should go to someone else) while everyone keeps knocking Fedora
as being nothing but Red Hat's playground for RHEL, unstable, etc... :D
</asbestos underpants>

--
Jarod Wilson
jarod at wilsonet.com